Friday, October 5, 2007

Right To Reinvent Self



Quitting smoking is really a total shift in Identity. With a capital "I." This, smoking, was a part of who I was. Am. I identified with I can if I want. You can't make me stop it." Pass all the rules you like and attach all the sin tax - YOU CAN'T MAKE ME STOP!!! I am a smoker! Smokers have rights! F YOU!

Okay, when we become grownups we have to let go of certain things because they become destructive to us. I know that when I try to drink alcohol like I used to I can literally be ill for DAYS now. I just don't recover like I used to and I have to be a MOM during those days. It's just not practical for me to party hard anymore.

But that doesn't mean it's easy to let go of that identity. I think quiting smoking has a lot to do with "growing up." Some people do it at 60, some 40, I did it at 33. There's a right time for everyone - but yeah an alteration in identity is a way bigger freaking deal than just breaking a nasty habit.

But, you have a right to change your mind. Everyone can reinvent themselves. Everyone and anyone can reinvent themselves every day if they want to. Look at Madonna - she does it frequently enough. She does something until it stops serving her and she decides to try something else. We can be like that.

This isn't serving me anymore. I can let go of it. It's hard but I reserve the right to reinvent self. I might try on a few different things before I settle on something that works for me. I even reserve the right to reinvent myself as many times as I need to before I die.

Once you realize smoking was an inherent part of your identity you can take steps to mourn it and let it go and open the doors to reinvention.

That's why I refer to myself as a non-smoker. It's a shift in Identity. One that I'm claiming for myself.

5 comments:

Maybe Im Amazed said...

Tracee,
Thanks for posting on my blog. I have read alot of your posts and I enjoy them. Congratulations on the non-smoker thing. I TOTALLY refer to myself as a non-smoker now... not a smoker who is choosing not to smoke... that takes away from the accomplishments we have made. Anyhow... you bring up some great thoughts.
Have a nice-smoke-free-day:)
Lisa

Tracee said...

Lisa, Right back at you with the congrats. You are a non-smoker. It's awesome. It's an important distinction - we are not smokers who want to quit. We have to become, be, non-smokers.

Thanks for stopping by!

Tracee

info said...

Thanks for submitting this article to the FitBuff Carnival. I've Dugg and Stumbled this post individually, so please return the favor by Digging and Stumbling the carnival to bring even more readers to your blog:

Digg It:
http://digg.com/health/Total_Mind_and_Body_Fitness_Blog_Carnival_18

Stumble It:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http://www.fitbuff.com/total-mind-and-body-fitness-blog-carnival-18/&title=Total%20Mind%20and%20Body%20Fitness%20Blog%20Carnival%2018

therapydoc said...

Fantastic post.

Tracee said...

Thanks Therapydoc, It means a lot coming from you. Tracee