Friday, October 5, 2007

Get Out Of Jail Free Coupons


Jen over at BlogFabulous asked: I do think this time I will quit but I am afraid of what happens once the Chantix is over???

Something else. That's the answer. You have a lifetime to relearn new coping strategies. You don't have to be right the first time. Perfection is not required. If you handle something bad, say your sorry, move on try something else.

Try to pick good coping strategies. Drinking water, taking a grown-up time out, start knitting, deal with the real reasons why you smoked, face some of your fears, get active, think of different choices you can make. Try yoga.

Try not to do this: drink alcohol or self-medicate or over-eat to fill the void where smoking was. That will only create more problems and make you want to smoke more.

When you're feeling any of your feelings that used to be connected with smoking just think Okay, this time I'm going to choose to go for a walk. Or say, Wait, I haven't had a break all day. I'm going to take 15 minutes to do something nice for myself.

Good luck with the boyfriend quitting at the same time. Cut each other slack, lots of slack. Maybe even make some get out of jail free coupons for when one of you tries a coping strategy that backfires.

That way you can let some stuff go. Take the coupon forgive each other and say, well at least you're not smoking, but next time please try something else.

2 comments:

MamaFlo said...

Tracee, how long have you been quit? I'm from Texas too - San Antonio.
In the 52 years I've been on this earth, quitting smoking has definitely been my biggest challenge to date. I don't know what it is, wanting to smoke, wanting a cigarette, wanting that ahhhhh feeling, changing a stressful routine........I've thought about that a lot for inspiration - just what is it that I think I'm missing out on by not smoking?
Even at 10 days I'm feeling pretty damn good and amazingly enough, I actually look better.
I don't kid myself, this is going to be a lifelong challenge, I'm certain the temptation to smoke again will be great once I'm off the Chantix (but thankfully that will be quite awhile yet).

Hang in there and stay with your quit, I'll be here if you need someone to bitch to.

Tracee Sioux, Sioux Ink: Soul Purpose Publishing said...

MamaFlo,

I quit in May. I stopped taking Chantix in July (I think).

The hard part is filling the void where the smoking used to be, in my opinion. I'm not having cravings - not the way I did trying to quit without the chantix. The nature of them has changed.

What I'm at a loss for much of the time is what to do instead. I used smoking as a primary coping mechanism. Now my primary coping mechanism is missing I have to reinventing the term "coping."

But, we can do this. I've only been doing this for 20 years, this should be easier for me than you right? We can do this. All of us can.