Friday, March 21, 2008

Know When to Quit

I love Martha Beck, who writes a column in Oprah Magazine. This month she wrote a great article about quitting.

You should really stop by and read Know When to Fold 'Em.

Recently, psychologists Gregory Miller and Carsten Wrosch set out to investigate the mental and physical health of people who resist quitting, and of those who throw in the towel when facing unattainable goals. The second group—the quitters—were healthier than their persistent peers on almost every variable. They suffered fewer health problems, from digestive trouble to rashes, and showed fewer signs of psychological stress, Martha writes.

If you're like me, and you are or you wouldn't be here, when you quit smoking you realized it was a bigger deal than you thought. Like the smoking was this thing keeping you tied to anger and immaturity or other habits you believed were too hard to change.

But, when you finally let go of the smoking you thought, hey if I can do that - what else do I want to change?

It's a little like a snowball. The smoking is the one thing that leads to more exercise, which leads to better eating, which leads to less drinking, which leads to more productivity, which leads to better parenting, which leads to a better marriage.

Before you know it - you're the best quitter on the block and your whole lifestyle is one that's healthier and feels better and . . .

Well, just go read that article. It puts a healthier, happier face on quitting. Gives you a great perspective on change.

9 comments:

Mz Diva said...

This article rocked! I am glad I am a quitter! Secondly, your right! Now that I have achieved success by not smoking cigarettes, I know what I am capable of doing and I have set my next goal! Thanks for the post!
Peace,
Diva

Tracee Sioux, Sioux Ink: Soul Purpose Publishing said...

I know, right?

Mind if I ask? What is your next goal Diva?

Mz Diva said...

My next goal is to drop the extra weight I have been carrying around with me. I am about 40 lbs overweight and I plan on doing it by improving my eating habits and exercising. I want to be in shape and look my best! If I can quit smoking, I can take some walks around the block and stop eating fast food from the .99 cent menu!
Thanks for asking. Did you have a second goal after smoking also?
Peace,
Diva

Tracee Sioux, Sioux Ink: Soul Purpose Publishing said...

I'm with you on the weight. People justify smoking because quitting makes you gain weight.

That's crap.

Smoking induces eight gain because it makes it more difficult to exercise!

I recommend You, the Owners Manual or Bob Greene's Best Life Diet as reasonable lifestyle changes that will slowly take off weight. But, the weight won't come back.

I lost 30 pounds last year and plan to lose maybe the same this year. Lifestyle changes - not diets.

Lets treat ourselves kindly now that we don't smoke.

I know you'll meet your weight loss goal.

Mz Diva said...

I have to agree with you! Its really hard to run up and down the block with a lit cigarette in your hand! Actually, before I had a leg injury and I was 10-15 years younger, I used to do an hour aerobics class, 30 minutes on the treadmill and lift weights--six days a week! Lets hope that my lung capicity and stamena is even a 1/4 of what it used to be! Bob Green is good! He got Oprah out of her yo-yo funk. I also really like Jillian Michaels "No Bull" approach. Thanks for the encouragement! You should be a life coach! Thirty pounds is a good amount of weight to drop!
Peace,
Diva

Tracee Sioux, Sioux Ink: Soul Purpose Publishing said...

Maybe I should - I wonder how you get certified for that?

The beautiful thing is that stamina increases with use. Lungs repair themselves over time and with conditioning.

Hopefully smokers - we'll be in better shape than ever!

MamaFlo said...

It does feel good not to smoke (even though it still feels like I want a cigarette)! I look better, I defintely smell better, and I know I can breath better - I'm even thinking about starting to walk on a treadmill and I haven't been able to exercise like that in a few years - yeah for me!!!

Glad you are still on the bandwagon Tracee - Happy New Year!!

Tracee Sioux, Sioux Ink: Soul Purpose Publishing said...

I really feel whatever was tying me to smoking for 20 years is gone. Like a chain has been broken.

God bless Chantix.

John Doogan said...

I salute your courage for taking that vital step and quiting.

I've always said that smoking addiction is more psychological than anything else. If you really value your life and strive for a better life then you will put and end to smoking as you have done here.

Once again - well done!